Even if you are a “morning person”, waking up can be tough. Sometimes you don’t get enough sleep. Others, you’ve got something not-so-exciting scheduled for the next day. But whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, there are a few things you can do to ensure you wake up on the right side of the bed – every single day.
- Clean your room before you go to bed. Though it might put off that good night’s sleep a little bit longer, knowing you’re waking up to a fresh, tidy bedroom will help you rest easy. It sets the stage for a great, peaceful day. Bonus points for changing those sheets before you slip into bed. Waking up with fresh sheets is one of those little luxuries we couldn’t live without.
- Write out a to-do list the night before. It may sound counterintuitive but getting organised before you hit the hay actually means less stress – not more! Knowing exactly what you have to (and want to!) do before you sleep will help you stop ruminating and get more restful shuteye.
- Avoid scrolling first thing. It’s tempting, we know, but spending those first few minutes or hours scrolling through social media is actually really detrimental to your sense of wellbeing. Try leaving your phone in another room to charge overnight, as that will help quell the urge to scroll as soon as you wake up.
- Be grateful (and remind yourself why you are!). Sure, it’s sort of forcing happiness, but “fake it ‘til you make it” really works when it comes to gratitude. Write down a couple things you’re grateful for when you wake up – or simply say them out loud – and wait for that instant mood shift. You’ll train your brain to be positive upon waking up in no time.
- Book a ride with your best friend. Having something fun and energising to look forward to when you roll out of bed is a surefire way to wake up happier. So, send some feelers out in the group chat to see who’s up for a pre-work ride. You’ll start your day sweaty – and with a smile.